Highbanks Metro Park
Highbanks is named for its massive 100-foot-high shale bluff towering over the Olentangy State Scenic River. Tributary streams cutting across the bluff have developed a number of deep gorges in the eastern part of the 1,200-acre park. Ohio and also Olentangy shales, usually containing exceptional huge concretions, are subjected on the bluff face as well as sides of the gorges.
Likewise located in the park is a semi-elliptical embankment, the Highbank Park Works, which includes four three-foot-high sections surrounded by a shallow ditch. It is believed to have been built at some point in between 800 and 1300 CE by participants of the Cole culture.
The site was checked by Ephraim George Squier as well as Edwin Hamilton Davis in 1846. They review the site in their 1848 publication, Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley.